Definition of base spirit
: a distilled liquor that provides the alcoholic base for liqueurs and cocktails The ratio of gin or vodka to vermouth is entirely up to your discretion, but although many people prefer a mere hint of vermouth in their Martinis, I suggest that you start by using one part vermouth to each four or five parts base spirit.— Gary Regan, The Joy of Mixology, 2003
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game