Definition of barrel piano
: a mechanical piano that is operated by turning a hand crank which rotates a barrel-and-pin mechanism causing hammers to hit the piano strings A British patent was issued for a crude barrel piano, activated by pins on a large cylinder, in 1829.— Edward Tenner, Our Own Devices, 2009
— called also hurdy-gurdy, piano-organ, street piano
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game