Definition of barley-sugar column
: a twisted architectural column : salomónica The fine 15th-century church has twisted barley-sugar columns and old tombs set in the floor.— Paul Lewis, New York Times, 30 Nov. 1986 Within its high outer walls is a luscious Gothic cloister oozing with delicate tracery and twisted barley sugar columns.— Catherine Slessor, Architectural Review, February 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?