Definition of bar shot
: a cannon shot consisting of two spheres or hemispheres united by a bar and formerly used in naval warfare It should also be noted that bar shot was effectively employed against the rigging and sails of enemy ships only at close range, as this type of artillery projectile was quite inaccurate because the round spun once it had been fired.— Douglas R. Cubbison, The American Northern Theater Army in 1776, 2010 also : a discharge of such shot
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game