baptism of firenoun phrase
variants: or chiefly US baptism by fire
Definition of baptism of fire
1 : an introductory or initial experience that is a severe ordeal especially : a soldier's first exposure to enemy fire
2 : a spiritual baptism by a gift of the Holy Spirit —often used in allusion to Acts 2:3–4; Matthew 3:11 (Revised Standard Version)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?