baptism of firenoun phrase
variants: or chiefly US baptism by fire
Definition of baptism of fire
1 : an introductory or initial experience that is a severe ordeal especially : a soldier's first exposure to enemy fire
2 : a spiritual baptism by a gift of the Holy Spirit —often used in allusion to Acts 2:3–4; Matthew 3:11 (Revised Standard Version)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game