Definition of bangtail
1 US, dated slang : racehorse That thoroughbred will leave the other bangtails standing still. — The American Girl
2 : a detachable slip attached to the flap or back panel of an envelope A bangtail is the perforated coupon attached to the body of a return envelope, which must be torn off before the envelope is sealed. — The Times-Union (Albany, New York)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game