Definition of Balkans
1 or Balkan Mountains mountain range of central Bulgaria extending from its border with Serbia to the Black Sea; highest point Botev Peak 7793 feet (2375 meters)
2 or Balkan Peninsula peninsula in southeastern Europe between the Adriatic and Ionian seas on the west and the Aegean and Black seas on the east
3 or Balkan States the countries occupying the Balkan Peninsula: Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Greece, and Turkey in Europe
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?