Definition of baling wire
: wire originally designed to bind bales of hay or straw : haywire … were secured … by baling wire twisted through the padlock hasps.— Robert A. Caro —often used figuratively Injury-riddled Michigan State might be considered a powerhouse, except its team is being held together with chewing gum and baling wire.— Lynn Zinse
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?