bale outphrasal verb
baled out; baling out; bales out
Definition of bale out
1 : to jump out of an airplane with a parachute The pilot baled out just before the plane crashed.
2 : to leave or escape a harmful or difficult situation Most investors have baled out of the business.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game