plural baldachins or baldachinos
Definition of baldachin
1 : a cloth canopy fixed or carried over an important person or a sacred object
2 : a rich embroidered fabric of silk and gold
3 : an ornamental structure resembling a canopy used especially over an altar
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game