Definition of bacterioplankton
: plankton composed of bacteria … a 2-year study off the New Jersey coast detected seasonal patterns of bacterioplankton communities with distinct clusters of samples separated by season for each year and a distinction between summer and winter communities evident in the entire data set.— Stephen J. Giovannoni and Kevin L. Vergin, Science, 10 Feb. 2012
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?