Definition of backseat driver
1 : a passenger in a car who gives usually unwanted driving advice to the driver
2 : someone who gives unwanted advice or who tries to control something that is supposed to be controlled by another person Several members of the board of directors have accused him of being a backseat driver.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game