Definition of backmasking
: the encoding of audio materials (such as words conveying a secret message) on a recording in such a way that they can only be heard and understood when the recording is played backwards Of the new bills, Rhode Island's is unique in that it calls for several different labels, including one that says “parental warning: this record contains backmasking that makes a verbal statement when this program is played backwards” …— Richard Harrington, Washington Post, 14 Mar. 1990
— called also backward masking
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game