Definition of backcourtmate
: a fellow guard on a basketball team : a player stationed on the backcourt with a fellow teammate Scott won three NBA titles during 11 seasons playing with the Lakers … as Magic Johnson's backcourtmate.— Tom Withers, Associated Press, 1 July 2010
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game