back is to/against the wallidiom
Definition of back is to/against the wall
: in a bad position in which one is forced to do something in order to avoid failure We knew that with so little time and money left to finish the project we had our backs to the wall.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game