azu·lene | \ ˈazhəˌlēn\
Definition of azulene
1a : a liquid hydrocarbon C15H18 of intense blue color found in some essential oils (such as oil of cubebs) and in lignite tar
b : any of various blue to violet or green hydrocarbons closely related chemically to this hydrocarbon and occurring naturally in essential oils or formed from various colorless naturally occurring sesquiterpenes
2 : a synthetic blue crystalline unsaturated bicyclic hydrocarbon C10H8 that resembles the isometric naphthalene in some properties but is more active chemically and that is the parent compound of the azulenes; cyclo-penta-cyclo-heptene
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game