variants: or less commonly azine
Definition of azine dye
: any of a class of acid quinonoid-type dyes containing a paradiazine ring fused to one or more aromatic rings and used especially in dyeing wool, silk, paper, and leather and in coloring fats, oils, lacquers, and plastics also : an oxazine or thiazine dye
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game