Definition of azadirachtin
: a chemical compound C35H44O16 that occurs in the seeds of the neem tree (Azadirachta indica) and is used as an insecticide Most of neem's pesticidal punch comes from the compound azadirachtin, which disrupts insects' growth as well as dampening their appetite.— Leslie Land, New York Times, 10 May 2007 Azadirachtin causes hormonal imbalances and disrupts the maturation cycle in insects, which results in unsuccessful molts, or heavily deformed immature insect stages.— Illinois Blasdel, Landscape Management, April 2005
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game