axis of a curve
Definition of axis of a curve
: a straight line that bisects at right angles a system of parallel chords and divides the curve into two symmetrical portions (as in the parabola which has one such axis, the ellipse which has two, or the circle which has an infinite number)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?