Definition of axicon
: an object resembling an optical lens with a conical surface that has no definite focal point On a trip to Russia, Milchberg discovered that scientists there were using an odd, funnel-shaped “axicon” lens that brought laser beams into an elongated, needle-like focus instead of the sharp point that conventional lenses produce.— Curt Suplee, Washington Post, 11 Sept. 1995
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game