Definition of auxiliary cell
: a specialized cell in certain red algae often some distance from the carpogonium into which the diploid zygote nucleus migrates after fertilization sometimes by special threads called ooblasts and from which the carpospores eventually develop
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game