au·to·fret·tage | \ ˈȯ-tō-ˌfre-tij\
Definition of autofrettage
: the application of such interior pressure to the bore of a heavy ordnance gun as will deform the inner layers of steel beyond the elastic limit that would be reached by the explosion of any charge to be used subsequently in the gun
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game