plural auto-rickshaws or autorickshaws
Definition of auto-rickshaw
: a motorized rickshaw … superficial images of modernization are everywhere to be seen: auto-rickshaws, which are rapidly replacing horse-drawn tongas; stores stocked with the latest Western-style gadgetry …— Fergus M. Bordewich, Atlantic, July 1986 “Horn Please” demand the signs on the backs of a million trucks blocking the road. All the other trucks, and cars, bikes, motor scooters, taxis, and … autorickshaws enthusiastically respond, welcoming Zafar and me with an energetic rendition of the traditional symphony of the Indian street.— Salman Rushdie, New Yorker, 19 June 2000
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game