au·ra·mine | \ ˈȯrəˌmēn, -mə̇n\
variants: or less commonly auramin \ ˈ⸗⸗mə̇n \
Definition of auramine
: a bright yellow ketonimine dye C17H22CIN3 of poor lightfastness and stability derived from diphenylmethane and used chiefly in coloring paper, in making pigments, in signal smokes, and as a fluorescent biological stain
— called in full auramine O
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game