Definition of audience
- The concert attracted a large audience.
- The film is intended for a young audience.
- has developed an enthusiastic audience for his ideas
- an audience with the pope
- Give me audience and heed what I say.
The concert attracted a large audience.
The audience clapped and cheered.
Her audience is made up mostly of young women.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'audience.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
: a group of people who gather together to listen to something (such as a concert) or watch something (such as a movie or play) : the people who attend a performance
: the people who watch, read, or listen to something
: a formal meeting with an important person
What made you want to look up audience? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).
Odd Habits and Quirks Quiz