attribute (something) to (someone or something)idiom
Definition of attribute (something) to (someone or something)
1 : to say that (something) is because of (someone or something) He attributes his success to his coach. His doctor attributes his health problems to a poor diet and a lack of exercise.
2 : to think of (something) as being a quality of (someone or something) The study suggests that it is a mistake to attribute adult reasoning to children. Is it right to attribute complex emotions to animals? She attributed some importance to the research.
3 : to think of (something) as being made or created by (someone) The poem is usually attributed to Shakespeare, but some scholars doubt that he wrote it.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game