Definition of attine
: any of various myrmicine ants (tribe Attini) found chiefly in tropical America that culture fungi for food Leaf-cutters and all the other attines cultivate various kinds of fungi for colony members to eat.— Susan Milius, Science News, 21 Nov. 1998 Species of the lower attines do not cut and use leaves as the main substrate for their symbiotic fungus, but rather gather a large variety of dead vegetable matter, including bits of leaves, plant seeds, and fruits, as well as insect feces and corpses.— Bert Hölldobler and Edward O. Wilson, The Leafcutter Ants: Civilization by Instinct, 2011
Note: The tribe Attini comprises ants of the genus Atta, known as leaf-cutting ants, and closely related genera.
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game