atomic absorption spectroscopynoun
variants: or less commonly atomic absorption spectrometry
Definition of atomic absorption spectroscopy
: a method of spectroscopy that relies on the absorption of specific frequencies of light by atoms in order to identify the chemical composition of a sample To fully characterize the composition, we determined the Li, Na and Mn contents by atomic absorption spectroscopy after dissolving the sample in dilute hydrochloric acid.— Jaekook Kim, Nature, 20 Nov. 1997
— called also absorption spectroscopy
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game