atomic absorption spectrometernoun
Definition of atomic absorption spectrometer
: a spectrometer that analyzes the absorption spectrum of a sample especially to determine its metallic composition That screen would test for metals with high atomic mass, such as lead, mercury, and platinum. A device called an atomic absorption spectrometer detects the presence of heavy metals in a patient's urine sample.— Daniel C. Weaver, Discover, June 1995
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game