Definition of atom laser
: a device that projects a beam of atoms that have been cooled until they are in a single combined quantum state To understand why the atom laser is causing so much excitement, it is helpful to remember that atoms—which we usually think of as solid—also have a wavelike nature.— Jim Wilson, Popular Mechanics, July 1997
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?