Definition of atala
: a brightly colored hairstreak butterfly (Eumaeus atala) native to southeastern Florida and the West Indies that is black with three rows of iridescent blue spots on the hind wings and a red spot on the abdomen Once feared extinct in Florida, the atala butterfly has been rescued by a native plant—the coontie. — National Geographic, July 1996 Looking closely, we also found patches of atala eggs as well as the brilliantly colored red and yellow caterpillars.— Georgia Tasker, Miami Herald, 1 Oct. 2006
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?