at/in the back of one's mindidiom
Definition of at/in the back of one's mind
: in the part of one's mind where thoughts and memories are kept but that are not usually thought about or not perfectly remembered Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew I'd met him before.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?