at the pleasure of (someone)idiom
Definition of at the pleasure of (someone)
—used to say that something is done or can be done because someone wants it to be done I serve at the pleasure of the president, and I will continue to serve as long as the president wants me to.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game