at the bottom/top of the heapidiom
Definition of at the bottom/top of the heap
—used to describe a person's level of success, position in society, potential for advancement, etc. Quite a few people applied for the job, but his past work experience put him at the top of the heap.People at the bottom of the financial heap will not be helped much by the new tax cuts.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game