at the bottom/top of the heapidiom
Definition of at the bottom/top of the heap
—used to describe a person's level of success, position in society, potential for advancement, etc. Quite a few people applied for the job, but his past work experience put him at the top of the heap.People at the bottom of the financial heap will not be helped much by the new tax cuts.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game