asynchronous transfer modenoun
Definition of asynchronous transfer mode
: a digital network communications system that allows high-speed broadband transmissions The overhaul of AT&T's network is just as important. AT&T will deploy an Internet-like digital technology known as ATM, for asynchronous transfer mode. It converts information into the ones and zeros of computer language, breaks it into tiny pieces, stamps them with an address and sends them into a shared transmission line.— Steve Rosenbush —abbreviation ATM
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game