Definition of asylee
: someone who is seeking asylum (see asylum sense 3b) or who has been granted asylum Asylum status may be terminated for the same grounds or if there are changed circumstances in the asylee's country which eliminates the need for asylum. — Federal Register Part V, 2 June 1980 White House aide Jack Watson, according to The Wall Street Journal, refers to Cubans seeking asylum in the United States as “asylees.”— William Safire, New York Times Magazine, 15 June 1980 … told me that one of the questions the authorities ask to determine whether or not someone qualifies for asylee status is “Are you afraid to return to your own country?”— G. Willow Wilson, The Butterfly Mosque, 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game