Definition of assortative mating
: nonrandom mating: such as
a : mating between the more similar individuals of a population especially when regarded as a factor in evolutionary differentiation within a population
b : selective mating between individuals whose choice of marriage partners is determined by similarity of social environment — see homogamy
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?