ascribe (something) toidiom
Definition of ascribe (something) to
: to say or think that (something) is caused by, comes from, or is associated with (something or someone) : assign, credit, or blame They ascribed his illness to chemicals in his brain. The author ascribes the economy's success to the current government. She ascribes no importance to having lots of money. These poems are usually ascribed to Homer.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game