Definition of aryl halide
: any of a class of organic compounds containing an aromatic ring from which a hydrogen atom is removed through the process of bonding to a halogen atom The company says the plant has … bulk- and drum-handling facilities for tetrahydrofuran, ethers, alkyl, and aryl halides.— Chemical Week, 5 Aug. 1998
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game