Definition of artificial language
: a language devised by an individual or a small group of individuals and proposed for an international language or for some more specific purpose (such as aptitude testing) but not functioning as the native speech of its users — compare natural language
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game