Definition of arroyo toad
: a stocky, blunt-nosed toad (Anaxyrus californicus synonym Bufa californicus) that has a dark-spotted, olive-green to light brown back, a white or buff belly, and a light-colored, V-shaped stripe across the head and eyelids and that occurs in and around streams from southwestern California to northwestern Baja California … it has been off-limits to off-road enthusiasts, primarily because of fears that trail bikers would wipe out the local population of the arroyo toad, an endangered species that lives and breeds dangerously close to the creek crossing.— Fred Alvarez, Los Angeles Times, 17 Apr. 1995
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game