Definition of arresting wire
: a wire cable that is stretched across an airfield runway or the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and that can be engaged by an aircraft’s arrester hook during landing in order to halt the forward motion of the aircraft within a limited space The ship is equipped with arresting wires which are capable of safely landing aircraft traveling at speeds of more than 200 miles per hour in about 300 feet. — State News Service, 19 May 2009
Note: A set of arresting wires is the main component of arresting gear.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game