Definition of arresting wire
: a wire cable that is stretched across an airfield runway or the flight deck of an aircraft carrier and that can be engaged by an aircraft’s arrester hook during landing in order to halt the forward motion of the aircraft within a limited space The ship is equipped with arresting wires which are capable of safely landing aircraft traveling at speeds of more than 200 miles per hour in about 300 feet. — State News Service, 19 May 2009
Note: A set of arresting wires is the main component of arresting gear.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game