Definition of area centralis
- Light from the very center of the visual field, the area of space that we “are looking at,” projects onto the area centralis or macula.
- —Peggy Mason, Medical Neurobiology, 2011
- The area of maximal visual acuity and highest cone density in the retina of the horse is the area centralis.
- —Dennis Eugene Brooks, Ophthalmology for the Equine Practitioner, 2002
- By contrast, dogs have what is called an area centralis: a broad central region with fewer receptors than a fovea, but more than in peripheral parts of the eye.
- —Alexandra Horowitz, Inside of a Dog, 2009