Definition of archiver
1 : a person who creates or maintains an archive : archivist Few architects’ names resonate across the centuries with the force of the 16th-century Italian Andrea Palladio, the great Renaissance archiver of the classical orders and the inventor of the modern villa.— Andrew Ferren, New York Times, 27 Dec. 2009
2 : something (such as a computer program) that is used to create archives An archiver that doesn’t support searching—on the bodies of messages, as well as on authors and subjects—is close to useless.— Karl Fogel, Producing Open Source Software, 2006
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game