Definition of apple red
: a vivid red that is yellower and slightly lighter and stronger than carmine, duller and slightly bluer than Castilian red, yellower and paler than madder crimson, bluer and duller than pimento, and bluer and slightly deeper than scarlet
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game