Definition of apparent weight
: the weight of a body as affected by the buoyancy of a fluid (such as air) in which it is immersed, being the true weight minus the weight of the displaced fluid — compare archimedes' principle
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game