Definition of apostolic succession
: the succession or descent believed to be uninterrupted from the apostles and perpetuated by successive ordinations of bishops, held (as by Roman Catholics, Anglicans, and Eastern Orthodox) to be necessary for valid administration of the sacraments and the transmission of orders
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?