Definition of antithetic theory
: a theory in botany: the sporophyte and gametophyte are basically distinct with the gametophyte representing the primitive ancestral phase and the sporophyte being a new structure resulting from increasingly retarded zygotic reduction — compare homologous theory
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game